French Bread Recipe
Make this French Bread recipe to celebrate the feast day of Saint Roch. Click the button below if you would like to learn more about this saint and why we celebrate this feast day.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Instant Yeast
- 1/2 cup very warm Water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 cups Water
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 6 cups All-Purpose Flour
- Combine the yeast, 1/2 cup warm water, and sugar, in a large bowl or stand mixer with a dough hook attachment.
- Let proof for ten minutes.
- Add remaining 2 cups water, oil, salt, and 3 cups of flour.
- Mix until flour is incorporated, then gradually add remaining 3 cups flour.
- Knead about five minutes, then turn out onto floured surface.
- Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Every ten minutes for the next hour knead two or three times.
- After a hour, divide and shape the dough into two loaves.
- Brush with beaten egg white.
- Slash three diagonal lines into tops of each loaf.
- Allow to rest again until doubled, approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F.
- Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375°F and bake an additional 20 minutes.